I made this for dinner last night. It was met with mixed reviews. I thought it was pretty good, not off the hook like Guy Fieri would say, but worth making again. My husband thought it didn’t have enough flavor. I will admit he has the better taste buds. So still needs a little tweaking. I used the homemade enchilada sauce which is post on my blog. This recipe is from Tablespoon. Changes I made: rinse and drain the black beans. I only used a total of 1/2 cup of cheese. Cheese is not in the DASH diet. Homemade enchilada sauce. And did not add the cotija cheese. If you are not familiar with quinoa it is a seed, taste very good and is a protein.
Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake
Prep Time 15 min Total Time 35 min Servings 4
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (white or red)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans
1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce (from 19-oz can)
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (4 oz)
Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
Crumbled cotija (white Mexican) cheese, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) or 13×9-inch (3-quart) ceramic or broiler-proof baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, chicken, black beans, green chiles, chili powder and 2 cups of the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese. Transfer quinoa mixture to baking dish. Top evenly with pepper Jack cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn oven control to broil. Place baking dish about 5 inches from broiler; broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from broiler. Top with sour cream, avocado, cilantro and cotija cheese. Serve immediately.