I came across a recipe calling for Rice-a-roni. A big no-no in the DASH diet. So I looked up some recipes for homemade…to my surprise it’s pretty easy to make. Here are two recipes that I like. Of course I go easy on the salt and use whole grain noodles and brown rice.
In medium skillet saute’ broken spaghetti pieces in butter, stirring constantly, until the spaghetti begins to brown.
Add rice, stirring until the rice is well coated with the butter and the spaghetti browns a little more Carefully pour in broth.
Simmer until liquid is absorbed.From The Daring Gourmet
Homemade Rice-a-RoniServes: 4Ingredients
- 1 cup brown or white long-grain rice
- ½ cup orzo
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 cups broth of your choice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary or herb of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice, orzo and nuts and saute, stirring frequently, until half of the rice and orzo is browned.
- Add the onion and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, salt and herbs and stir to combine.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook as you would normally cook rice, about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.