We had this for dinner last night and I was going to take pictures. I must have been hungry because once it was out of the oven I totally forgot about taking a picture. This is a camping recipe, but we do eat it at home too. You can play with it and change it up to your own taste. Sometimes I through a little corn in with the mix. My husband gets all of the jalapeno in his foil packet, but I don’t like mine that hot. So I just fold the packet differently so I know where the spicy ones are. If you are not a meat eater black beans and potatoes work well together.
Spicy Taco Beef and Cheesy Potatoes
1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey (or half beef and half turkey)
½ cup breadcrumbs, plain
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
2 cups diced potatoes (needs to be cut in small pieces to cook all the way through)
½ cup cheesy queso dip
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 small jalapeno, remove seeds and vein and chop
black pepper, to taste.
- Cook and crumble meat.
- In large bowl add cooked meat, and all other ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Make 4 large double layer squares of foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place ¼ of the mixture in each one.
- Wrap and seal the aluminum foil. Leave room in the packet to allow air to flow through as it cooks.
- Cook on hot coals or a covered grill for 15 – 20 minutes. Flip about half-way through. Or 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Open with caution – there will be plenty of steam and gooey cheesy potatoes. Enjoy!
Black beans work well as a substitute for potatoes